Quote of the Week

"The key is to commit crimes so confusing that police feel too stupid to even write a crime report about them."
Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive Comic
10-30-03. Web Comic Pioneer

Saturday, July 3, 2010

"Wed and Buried" by Toni L. P. Kelner


This book is the 8th in the Laura Fleming mystery series. I have not read any in the series and picked this one up at a library "friends" sale earlier this year. I am sure there is a back story that I did not know jumping into the middle of the series, but it didn't hinder me from enjoying the novel. This is a cozy type mystery and one of many that portray a super mommy with not only amazing mothering skills, an attentive and supportive husband, and the ability to be super sleuth all rolled into one. This isn't exactly great literature compared to some that I have read so far. Laura arrives with hubbie and baby in tow to visit an older relative who has recently gotten married. The new groom claims someone is trying to kill him. Laura sets out to find out what is happening and of course finds out that the man had a past that would make many people in the town likely to want him dead. Predictable of course not long after arriving in town for the visit a body is found. Laura is able to solve the crime with pretty much one arm tied behind her back and with the help of many neighbors and aunties that help with the baby just at the most important times. This is a cute series and I would probably read more. I wanted something light to read and this book delivered. So if you are a fan of the cozy, mommy super sleuth this is your book.
*Note the post from the author.
I wanted to clarify a point that Toni Kelner graciously made to my posting. I jumped into a series and made a sweeping generality about the series that was incorrect. I am thrilled Toni posted and I hope now to go back to my 'roots' and read the beginning of the series to see how the characters are developed and see where the plots twists take the character.
Thanks for setting us straight and please read Toni's series!!

2 comments:

  1. Sue,

    So glad you liked WED AND BURIED. But I must warn you that if the motherhood bit was part of what made you like it, stay away from the rest of the series. This is the only book with baby Alice. Laura is pregnant in MAD AS THE DICKENS, but until then, she and Richard were DINKs (double income, no kids).


    Best,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're thrilled? Sweetie, I am tickled to death that this many years later, somebody picked up Wed and Buried and liked it enough to blog about it. It made my day.

    ReplyDelete