Quote of the Week

"The key is to commit crimes so confusing that police feel too stupid to even write a crime report about them."
Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive Comic
10-30-03. Web Comic Pioneer

Monday, July 12, 2010

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson


It's been a while since I have reached for a book and read continuously until I finished. This book is one of them. I purchased last summer when it came out in paperback and it sat on the TBR pile until a bookgroup decided to tackle it. The character of Blomkvist as the disgraced journalist and Salander as the edgy troubled genius was just a dynamic combination for an explosive story. The underground story with international finance, a trip back in time with White Supremacy and Nazism was riveting. It's a fast-paced story that I found easy to follow and could imagine as a movie. What I liked the most was the character development of Salander. She was so hard edged and reflected the terrible experiences such as her guardians who always took physical, emotional, and financial advantage of her. But while you wanted to feel sorry for her lot in life, you saw that those experiences made her who she had become and you found yourself wanting to cheer for her successes when she has them. When I saw that a movie had been made of the book, I was fortunate with timing that I was able to see at an art cinema. Filmed by a Swedish film company and shown in America with subtitles, I was unsure if I would enjoy the film, but I wholeheartedly did. The film was extraordinary and because of the pace of the film, the subtitles were not a problem. The casting of Salander was genius and now I cannot imagine an American version of this story. While the movie couldn;t possible include everything in the book, most was told in impecible detail. I have saved reading the other two books in the series for a treat for later in the summer. This book is still in high demand at area libraries so either get yourself on a waiting list or go to an area bookseller and buy a copy. This is a book worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment