Quote of the Week

"The key is to commit crimes so confusing that police feel too stupid to even write a crime report about them."
Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive Comic
10-30-03. Web Comic Pioneer

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"The Oxford Murders" by Guillermo Martinez


Took me a while to post this book. To our faithful readers, I've been on a binge to read all summer and not necesarily reading books in order. This book is one of the most cerebral and scholarly mystery stories I have read in a while and another from a country other than the US. The main character is an Argentine mathematical scholar attending Oxford University. The plot begins with the murder of his elderly landlady who helped decipher the 'Enigma Code.' You meet a cast of intellectual characters from the world of mathematics and learn the background of many theories and suppositions. Don't let this keep you from reading this book. It is truly different and the author manages to weave an interesting who-dun-it with some amazing back stories of the mysteries of math. You will find as the story unwinds that the word 'calculated' has both literal and figurative meanings. I have a terrible habit of reading the ending and I didn't with this one and enjoyed the plot twists which kept me guessing who committed the crime to the end. I enjoy reading the works of authors from different countries and this did not disappoint. Are you a fan of the CBS series NUMB3RS? You will appreciate this book.
I recommend this book very much and it is available from most area libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment