Quote of the Week

"The key is to commit crimes so confusing that police feel too stupid to even write a crime report about them."
Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive Comic
10-30-03. Web Comic Pioneer

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Land of a Hundred Wonders by Lesley Kagen


This inspiring story of a young woman with a traumatic brain injury may very well turn out to be my favorite book of 2010. Yes, it is a mystery. In fact, although the main mystery involves a murdered man, there are many other mysteries such as how old the main character is, what happened to her parents and many more. The biggest question is asked by Gibby, herself, will she ever change from NQR (Not Quite Right) to QR? The process she goes through is quite amazing and frequently humorous. Her misuse of words both aloud and in print would put Mrs. Malaprop to shame. Every single character inspired an emotional response, some positive - I was really routing for Gibby and her friend, Billy but disgusted by the sheriff and others and could certainly empathize with Grandpa who was caring for his injured granddaughter. The struggle with racism in the1970s also plays a big part in the events. Perhaps the overriding theme of the story is "change" in many ways while good vs. evil is also a major player. I was drawn to the book as it was advertised as being about a young girl with intellectual disabilities who has her own weekly newspaper. And, it is that, but it is so much more, I find myself practically begging my friends to read it - just so we can share ideas. I got my copy from paperbackbookswap.com. Amazon has it. Since Kagen is a best selling author I am sure most libraries can obtain copies. Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment