Quote of the Week

"The key is to commit crimes so confusing that police feel too stupid to even write a crime report about them."
Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive Comic
10-30-03. Web Comic Pioneer

Friday, February 5, 2010

Max Allan Collins - "The Hindenburg Murders


I became aquainted with the work of Max Allan Collins when the popular spin off book series of the CBS CSI series came out. I was addicted to CSI and liked that there were books based on the series. Then at book sales and other places I began to see other mystery works with his name on them and I began to gather them in my stash. I found out he has a large body of work including a series of mysteries based on historical events. I chose to read The Hindenburg Murders because of a clever twist. The person who is key to solving the murders is the famous mystery author Leslie Charteris who wrote "The Saint" books. Often a mystery author will put famous or infamous people in ficticious historical situations, but Charteris really was at one point a guest on the Hindenburg. I found myself feeling a little Christie-esque in the closed ship murders and who was the killer. Plot sound a little familiar? However, I found Collins an effective writer. After looking online for information about the Hindenburg, I found the plot was engaging, thoughtful and far from predictible. I love a historical twist in which you want to explore the places and circumstances to learn more. I have The Titanic Murders to read next and look forward to reading more of Collins work!

1 comment:

  1. Here's maybe a better link about the Hindenburg than the "unmuseum" page you linked to, and also a tribute to Pauline Charteris:

    http://www.airships.net/hindenburg

    http://www.airships.net/hindenburg-cocktail

    ReplyDelete